The City of Independence has authorized a Hiring Incentive program for Police Officers. The program is available to Recruit Police Officers as well as experienced officers with Missouri POST Certification.
Recruit Police Officers
New Police Recruit Hiring Incentive The signing bonus will be $7,000 payment* to new police recruits hired by IPD with no prior experience who complete the following:
1) Complete an IPD application for employment.
2) Complete all stages of the police officer hiring process
3) Complete all In-House Academy training
4) Complete all required phases of the Field Training Officer (FTO) program.
5) A suspension of 12 or more hours (excluding at-fault traffic accidents will result in program disqualification
New police recruits’ payment schedule.
1) $2,000 will be paid on their first paycheck after being formally hired.
2) $2,000 will be paid upon successful completion of their probationary period.
3) $3,000 will be paid upon the start of the 3rd year with the City.
Experienced Police Officers
Experienced Police Officers hired by the IPD will receive a $10,000 payment* who meet the following:
1) Currently has passed the Missouri Peace Officer License Exam and has their Missouri Peace Officer License
2) Has previously worked in the position of Police Officer for a law enforcement agency in the last 5 years and meets the Missouri eligibility requirements to take and pass the Missouri Police Officer Licensing Exam.
3) Currently enrolled and attending a P.O.S.T. approved law enforcement academy.
Experienced police officer payment schedule:
1) $4,000 will be paid on their first paycheck after being formally hired.
2) $3,000 will be paid upon successful completion of their probationary period.
3) $3,000 will be paid upon the start of the lateral officer's 3rd year with the City.
* The new hire will be expected to maintain employment with the City of Independence for a minimum of 4 years. Any new hire failing to complete their probationary period may be required to pay back a prorated portion of the hiring incentive. If a new hire fails to maintain employment (for any reason except for death, illness, or work injury for the four-year period, he or she will be required to forfeit any remaining signing bonus and will be responsible for reimbursing the City for the entire bonus.